Below contains verbiage from a sample policy for remote workers. If you do not already have a policy or need to review, we hope this is helpful for you. Please feel welcome to simply copy and paste. We are also happy to provide in template form if requested.
This policy establishes the guidelines ABC Company will use to select and manage those employees approved to work remotely.
This policy applies to all ABC Company employees authorized to work remotely as a primary job function. This policy also includes those employees who are temporarily allowed by their managers to work from home or other locations due to extenuating circumstances, such as cases of public emergency and/or in compliance with public health guidance for contagious diseases.
Telework refers to an arrangement where an employee works from home or from another location away from the usual workplace. Depending on the details of the arrangement, telework constitutes either a portion of the employee’s work time or all of it. Typically, the telework arrangement is initiated by an employee’s request (although it can be a condition of employment).
Criteria for Selection
ABC Company always strives to provide equal opportunities to all employees when it comes to working situations. However, remote work is not conducive to every employee and position. Keeping this in mind, ABC Company will review all reasonable employee requests to work remotely using the following criteria:
- Is the employee a good candidate for telecommuting? Criteria include:
- Proven performance
- No record of disciplinary action
- Comprehensive knowledge of their position
- Can the duties of the position be successfully fulfilled through telecommuting? Criteria include:
- Measurable work activities
- Little need for face-to-face interaction with coworkers
- Clearly established goals and objectives
- Duties that can be performed alone
- Equipment needs that are limited and can be easily stored at the off-site location
Note: The management of ABC Company reserves the right to deny or revoke remote work privileges at their own discretion.
Position requirements and responsibilities will not change due to telecommuting. Workers face the same expectations in relation to professionalism, work output and customer service, regardless of where the work is being performed. The amount of time an employee is expected to work in a given week will not change, although the exact scheduling of allotted hours will be left up to the discretion of their direct supervisor(s). If an employee’s physical presence is required at ABC Company’s primary work location, he or she may be expected to report once given adequate notice.
Additionally, employees are expected to abide by the following general rules:
- Be transparent about your availability and keep your calendar and availability status up to date indicating when you are online or offline
- Maintain strong communication by conducting regular check ins with your manager and coworkers
- Utilize your webcam and phone over email as often as possible
- Request PTO when you are intending to be away from your work
- Setup a dedicated workspace that allows you the most focus as possible.
- Prepare a child care strategy if needed, don’t work and parent at the same time.
- Be patient and understanding with coworkers that don’t have ideal at home working conditions.
Contact With Primary Location
Employees approved for telecommuting are responsible for maintaining regular contact with their supervisor(s). The supervisor(s) will act as the employee’s primary contact at ABC Company. Both the employee and his or her supervisor(s) are expected to work together to keep each other informed of any developments that occur during the workday.
Employees must have approval from their supervisor(s) to:
- Alter their defined work schedules
- Move company equipment to a new location
- Transfer primary off-site operations to a new location
Working primarily at home could result in expenses not directly addressed by this policy. If such expenses are necessary for their official duties as prescribed, ABC Company will reimburse the employees. However, since reimbursement is subject to management approval and is not guaranteed, potential expenditures should always be approved prior to the transaction being made.
On a case-by-case basis, [Company Name] will determine, with information supplied by the employee and the supervisor, the appropriate equipment needs (including hardware, software, modems, phone and data lines and other office equipment) for each telecommuting arrangement. The human resource and IT departments will serve as resources in this matter. Equipment supplied by the organization will be maintained by the organization. Equipment supplied by the employee, if deemed appropriate by the organization, will be maintained by the employee.
It must be kept in mind that:
- All equipment purchased by ABC Company remains the property of ABC Company. All equipment, including laptop and corresponding portable power supply and voice devices such as a headset, is to be returned in a timely fashion should the employee cease telecommuting operations for any reason.
- Hardware is only to be modified or serviced by parties approved by ABC Company.
- Software provided by ABC Company is to be used only for its intended purpose and should not be duplicated without consent.
- Any equipment provided by ABC Company for off-site use is intended for legitimate business use only.
- All hardware and software should be secured against unauthorized access.
I have read and agree to the terms of this remote work policy, and I agree to the duties, obligations, responsibilities and conditions outlined herein.
Employee Signature: ________________________________ Date: ______________________
This article is not intended to be exhaustive nor should any discussion or opinions be construed as legal advice. Readers should contact legal counsel or an insurance professional for appropriate advice. © 2020 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.