The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission requires that employers with 100 or more employees complete and submit the EEO-1 report usually by the end of March every year. The deadline this year has been extended to May 31, 2019.
What is the EEO-1 Report?
The EEO-1 Report is a federally mandated survey that collects workforce data from employers. The data is categorized by race, ethnicity, sex and job category. The EEOC uses this information to enforce federal prohibitions against employment discrimination and discriminatory pay practices.
Employers Subject to EEO-1 Reporting Requirements
With limited exceptions, the following entities must file EEO-1 Reports by March 31 every year:
- A private employer that has 100 or more employees (with limited exceptions for schools and other organizations);
- A private employer with between 15 and 99 employees, if it is part of a group of employers that legally constitutes a single enterprise, which employs a total of 100 or more employees; and
- A federal contractor that has 50 or more employees and is either a prime contractor or first-tier subcontractor, and has a contract, subcontract or purchase order amounting to $50,000 or more.
Although the EEOC sends notification letters to employers it knows to be subject to the EEO-1 requirements, all employers are responsible for obtaining and submitting the necessary information prior to the deadline. An employer that fails or refuses to file an EEO-1 Report as required may be compelled to do so by a federal district court. Federal contractors also risk losing their government contracts for failures to comply.
If the preparation or filing of an EEO-1 Report would create undue hardship, an employer may send a written request for an exemption or for special reporting procedures to the EEOC.
We have put together an EEO-1 Toolkit complete with all the information your organization needs to stay compliant with the filing deadline of May 31, 2019. These files are .WORD documents, so you can easily customize them to your organization.
Included in the EEO-1 Toolkit:
- HR Insights - Article sources from the U.S. Equal Opportunity Commission, discusses the EEO-1 report & answers frequently asked questions
- Compliance Bulletin - Includes information for Online Filing
- Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Voluntary Self-Identification Form
- Need to survey your employees? Use this form!
- Applicant EEOC Survey
- Want to survey job applicants? Use this form!